Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wise men say... Only fools rush in

This week a post on the Indian Make Up and Beauty Blog got me thinking about love...


When we fall in love, how does that love endure through the ages ? Which part of the person do we fall in love with. Is love just a habit thats truly hard to break ? How does the world around us teach us to think about love ?


A gentleman by the name of William Shakespeare wrote a sonnet that tried to answer some of these questions. The beauty of poetry is that is always poses as many questions as it answers so, have a read, have a smile and feel the lurrrve ;)





Let me not to the marriage of true minds

 Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

 Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark

 That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,

 Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

 Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

 But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

 I never writ, nor no man ever loved.



    William Shakespeare   

    (1564 - 1616)











I read this poem when I was 15 and I still come back to it on days when the cynicism of the world pulls me down. To quote Taylor Swift, 


"I'M not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale


I'm not the one You'll sweep off her feet,

Lead her up the stairwell

This ain't Hollywood, this is a small town,

I was a dreamer before you went and let me down

Now its too late for you and your white horse, to come around...."








For those days - I pull out my book of sonnets and fall in love in love all over again :D






No comments:

Post a Comment